Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Summer Project


Here's a quick snapshot of what I hope to be my summer hand project called Memory Bouquet. It seems like I've been bitten by the 30's bug after seeing many others quilting with it lately.

While preparing to get my mom moved I found these patterns in a box of my grandmother's. They were cut from a newspaper in Nebraska in 1930 and 1931. There are supposed to be 20 blocks but I am missing 2 which I think I can find online.
The peach fabric (I think it looks pink in the photo) is what I am going to use for the baskets. I've ordered more fabric so I'll be waiting for that to come in before I start. That should give me a bit more time to make headway on a few other things I'm working on. You can see a few finished quilts of the same pattern here.

Hey, I have managed to quilt one Dear Jane block every day for about the past 5 or 6 days!! Woo-hoo!

8 comments:

  1. The quilt blocks will have special meaning for you with using the patterns your grandmother saved. Do you know if she ever used any of the patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wonderful that you found patterns your grandmother may have used or perhaps wanted to. Will look forward to seeing your pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will be a beautiful quilt! Those designs remind me of early American designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious that you get to make something that your grandmother saved and the designs are wonderful. What a great project to be working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find. Lucky you! Here's a pat on the back for your DJ block a day accomplishment. I want to get that project back out, but I think I'll stick to the 30's for awhile longer. Thanks for all your great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those blocks!! what a great pattern to find and to find it with your grams things makes it more exciting.. I wonder if she made blocks and then gave them away..

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far, I have the patterns for thirteen Memory Bouquet blocks. I get a new one each month. This BOM is part of my Kansas City Star blocks, that I get each week. So you say there is twenty blocks in the pattern? Well, didn't they work that just nicely. If I don't renew in January, I will miss out on the last two blocks. The blocks I have so far are: Iris, Hollyhock, Tulip, Canterbury Bell, Bleeding Heart, Violet, Carnation, Hyacinth, Double Rose, Zinnia, Primrose, Geranium and Black-Eyed Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!